Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ronnie White

The last few days have been turbulent for me. Many ups and downs through the roller coaster of life, but none worse than the ride of Thursday and Friday. Friday I had been dreading since it was to be the anniversary of mom's passing...but it took on a different dimension due to Thursday.



Thursday one of the finest young men that I have ever had the privilege to know, passed away suddenly. Ronnie, or Ron, was on the first team I ever coached at Pinckney. Ron and I seemed to connect on a level that others didn't or couldn't. Our relationship meant a lot to me and I regret I wasn't there to help him in his last moments. Ron's life and his potential will be left unfulfilled.



Ron's passing only cements the saying "only the good die young" and that was never more apparent than Thursday when he left us. For on Thursday I was exposed to another individual, elderly and dying this person is bitter, spiteful, rude and full of hate. They had lived a long and fruitful life. Their only purpose in life now seems to be to bring pain and suffering to others. I tolerate this because I do not know God's plan but I do know that His will will be done...but then I get the news about Ron...and it's sooo true, only the good die young!



Ron made some mistakes---who hasn't? Ron wasn't perfect---who is? (Granted there was a man a couple thousand years ago, but nobody has claimed that recently) But Ron had a heart as big as all out doors, it's cliche but it's true. Ron has his "rough" side true, but once you got to know him you saw a person who truly cared about others. A sensitive individual was crying to get out.



One memory of Ron that I will cherish above all others is how he looked after my little girl in school. My daughter was a freshmen in high school when they met and Ron immediately took on the role of "big brother" to her. Ron would check on her once a day, make sure she was smiling and see that the world was treating her well. I had never asked him to do this, he did it because he cared. He cared for me enough to care about my daughter. It was really nothing more than that but it made my daughter feel special and secure. I could list several similar stories about Ron, it was who he was.



These memories flood back to me as I hear the news of Ron's passing and I look to the elderly person I'm with and say it's true "only the good die young". Ron's life was one full of potential and I deeply regret I wasn't there for him in his time of need. He touched my life in many ways, I miss him and will never forget him.



In closing, I want Ron, or Ronnie, to know I was proud to share the field of battle with him. I know Ronnie is in Heaven, sitting at the "perfect" football field waiting for the rest of us to show up now! Well hold my place there Ronnie, I look forward to the time when we take that field together again. You are and always will be my friend Ronnie. My life has been enriched by you and I am a better man having known you. God bless you my friend, I miss you terribly already. You're a true champion to me!



-Stavey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

G A Y

Unknown said...

The "gutless" Anonymous strikes again!