Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Phones!









Phones, I could just scream. You ever have problems with your phone? Sure you have. That seen with Chris Rock in Lethal Weapon 4 always comes up when I have a phone issue. "they **** ya".

About a month ago my phone took a swim and I found out that that IS the ultimate. I saved it within seconds but it was already too late. Oh sure if the stars are in the correct alignment and all other factors are correct...you "might" be able to QUICKLY get the battery out and salvage something. What that something is, if anything, cannot be predicted, but one thing it will not be able to do is retrieve stored phone numbers! "they **** ya"!




Knowing this you immediately start entering the numbers you "know" when you get your new phone. Oh and by the way, because it's a NEW phone, it's a NEW contract now too. "they **** ya." Why am I telling you all this? Because if I haven't called you lately, this is why. lol I was so accustomed to just pulling up names and punching a button---I had become a slave to technology! I remember one time at my first job in a kitchen, the slicer went down and the Line Cook couldn't put a sliced onion on a hamburger...the Chef hearing this walked in and said, "People listen up, this is a knife and this is a cutting board---watch." With mission accomplished the patron received their burger with onion and we got a lecture on being dependent on technology. As a young dishwasher I was quite impressionable and after his humiliation, I KNEW to stay away from the Line Cook for the rest of the evening. But nonetheless, when it comes to technology...they **** ya!





I believe this is why I love Scotty so much on Star Trek. When something went wrong, Scotty was able to pull out some basic knowledge out of nowhere to overcome the malfunction. Scotty made it seem soooo simple and always had that sheepish grin afterwards, like it was nothing. Capt. Kirk trusted and counted on him and he was my hero.



This probably explains the popularity of another TV icon, MacGyver. Talk about going back to "basics"! This guy was the ultimate. Granted, going back to my previous statement about the "stars being aligned correctly, etc." the odds that you would have all that stuff in your pockets or nearby to overcome a disaster is pretty extreme. But, he taught millions of viewers (notice how I didn't say "kids") to overcome situations in a logical manner. What MacGyver and Scotty both did was "think" through the situation, they didn't panic. Panic kills. Technology makes you dependent but it's panic that kills.


Thanks for reading along, more later so stay tuned.



















No comments: