Monday, March 14, 2011

Laughin' In GR Part One.

It is Monday night and I am writing this from the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Here for the first every Grand Rapids Laughfest, part Gildafest that started last Friday night and will continue through this Friday.

Having never been to the "first" of something I didn't know what to expect. Everyone here has been very friendly and several have asked what has brought me to their charming city. When I mention the comedy festival there has been a short hesitation, followed by a quick nod, "oh yes I heard of that". Not the dominant topic of conversation...yet. Reminds me of how the first Super Bowl didn't even sell out, reporters there probably experienced similar circumstances.

Bill Cosby sold out both his shows here within 3 hours. Betty White did something similar I hear. Not bad names and responses for a first year function. Something special is happening here. Word is that the Grand Rapids Comedy Festival, or Laughfest, is going to be bigger and better than some of the more established festivals like Atlanta and Detroit. So make no mistake about it, just because this isn't a "sell out"---yet, and getting a room wasn't a problem---yet, the time will come when both will be true. Though, about the rooms, I actually think Grand Rapids could hold a Super Bowl and not run out of rooms! There are soooo many hotels around here :)
It's a great convention town.

There are shows tonight but this reporter is exhausted. Look for my reports throughout the week. Also look for lamocuproductions.com to go on line this week. Gotta run now, sandman is beating on me and it's not Metalica. Take care everyone, work on your brackets and stay tuned.

No comments: