Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2nd Night @ Gilda Laughfest!

Saw Bobby Slayton last night and he was excellent! Bobby, known as the "pit bull" of stand up may not be a household name, but close, because he's a VERY recgonizable comic. With some movie credits and years in Las Vegas I'm sure you've experienced Bobby in some form or another. He had the audience by the throat from the minute he stepped on the stage and never let up.

In addition to being treated to a great show I had the pleasure to meet a charming Grand Rapids couple out for the evening and are coming to the St. Pat's show at Mr. Grins with me. I see more and more how this city is really embracing the festival, it could almost bring a tear to your eye or give you a chill when you think of Gilda.

As for the comparison I made to the first Super Bowl in an earlier post...I had visions of "typewriters" and people scrambling for "phone lines" to meet their deadlines. As I sat here without internet in my hotel I too worried about meeting my deadlines. How could I report about last night? How could I research what I'm doing tonight? A scene of Matheau and Lemmon from the movie Front Page popped into vision, Orson Wells was calling for Rosebud and then...the internet was restored---which is why you're reading what you're reading now.

I must conclude this installment about the great people of Grand Rapids and the killer show Bobby Slayton put on to go look for work tonight. I will be back later today with developments. Until then keep your stick on the ice and stay tuned.

No comments: