Wednesday, April 13, 2011

This Journalist's View

It's not too often that I jump on a "soap box" and vent my opinion on something, but this has my dander up and I don't care who knows. We're proud to say we're Ambassadors for our local Chamber and as so we have been working on a business expo for our Home Based members. We were excited about the possibilities, some home based businesses feel the Chamber doesn't do much for them, this was a chance to eliminate that myth.

Things were looking good until a major sponsor pulled out, after saying they would be involved. Interesting and do you want to know why? Through informed sources we have heard it was because the event was to take place on a Saturday? Now if you're looking for a second line of income or to change your career, chances you can't research such things while you're at your day job---if you're lucky enough to have a job. And if you don't have a job and are looking for opportunities, it really doesn't matter that it's on a Saturday does it? But the would be sponsor, Comcast cable, doesn't promote on weekends I guess. For some reason the day Saturday ruined it for them.

Now if you're a home based business, one without a store front, this would be a great opportunity to expose yourselves. Well it would have been a great opportunity. What does this say about the cable giants support of small business? I wonder how many home based businesses use Comcast for their services? I wonder how many WONT after this? If I had my way I'd say none.

I can't wait to see their next marketing campaign directed at small business; I'm sure it will have the words "bundling", "saving", "results" but in fine print will be the escape clause that says "we don't do weekends".

1 comment:

David Gibbons Jr. said...

As A owner of a Home Based Business myself I could not agree with you more . What a cheap way of pulling out! Glade that I don't use them either way ..and who said "cable' was better any way?