Monday, February 28, 2011

KayLyn is Merchandising & 3DaddyO is class!

This was the fifth time I have seen KayLyn since the Brighton Summerfest and each time she amazes me. Last Friday at the Pierson Fundraiser we actually had to put out a concessions table for her stuff. She had 8x10's and posters for sale and she was autographing them, trying to build her following and it was great.

I don't know which I get a kick out of more, the older, more mature patrons who are just in amazement over KayLyn, or the little girls who just idolize her. Both are excellent to watch her interact with. Autographing her own likeness is a new step for KayLyn and she handled it with the same style and grace she has handled every other challenge in her career. She also does something real classy that a lot of older, more experienced performers could take a lesson from---she stays to see the other acts. I don't see that enough really, but she shows respect and treats others with dignity. Something that is appreciated and noted by the acts that see her there for them.

Now continuing with class let's talk 3DaddyO. By the time 3DaddyO hit the stage, the raffled items had finished and the place was clearing out. Now here's where I see a lot of performers (of all ages and experience) fall short. When there is a small crowd certain performers start to whine or hold back from their performance. They prefer to wait until the crowd is bigger etc. etc. Well I have had to tell many a band that if you're getting paid, the customer doesn't want to hear excuses. I MC and I know it is tough to put on an act for a small crowd, but I have to do it because I have been contracted to do a "show". Now here is where 3DaddyO excelled, they played a full set and everyone there loved it! When I complimented them on it they said they just get caught up in playing. If you love to play, things like audience size don't matter---how brilliant! For those of us who remained, we appreciated them and they appreciated us, it was magical. A valuable lesson for the wannabe performers out there.

Well that's all for now. I do want to thank Kelly Fielding for introducing me to Anne Marie Scrivens and I wish to thanks Anne Marie for putting so much trust in me. Got to run, more later, so remember, stay tuned.

No comments: