Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rock & Roll Heaven - Our Fantasy Band!


Ok here it is...been hearing that the best way to run a blog is to have some interaction with your audience. That would be you! We need to inspire our followers to leave comments and of course we need to leave comments on their blogs. In a moment of inspiration we thought we would capitalize on the whole Fantasy Sports phenom, but for music! So here today we begin the debate of our/your fantasy band! And of course, we get to go first, why not it's our blog!

Today we begin with Bass Players. We'll give our input and then ask for YOU the viewers to give your feelings. Give it some deep thought and explain if you can, please just don't say McCartney-Beatles. That's not to say that Paul wasn't a great bass player, but tell us "why". I mean Paul could technically play everything! There's even a story of Paul going into the studio late one night and over dubbing Ringo's drums. So tell us and the world WHY you are passionate about your Bass Player.

So for my fantasy Bass Player...Joe Bouchard, a founding member of Blue Oyster Cult. I had the opportunity to meet Joe, his brother Albert and Eric Bloom back in 1978 at Discount Records the afternoon of their show in Lansing. Joe and I immediately hit it off and had a great conversation. Now I'm not going to try and tell you that Joe and I are best buds thereby making him my favorite Bass Player, but I was impressed with the genuine warmth he shared with me in our time together. Albert and Eric seemed preoccupied with the mob of fans at the store but Joe's eyes and mine met and he greeted me with a smile and asked me how I was doing. Asked ME how I was doing! This from someone who didn't have to give me the time of day. Naturally I got his autograph but the thing that I remember most is that we had a conversation!

Now this STILL isn't the reason he is my favorite Bass Player. The reason is this...by the time I first saw B.O.C. later that evening I had already been to 30-40 rock shows and Joe was the first Bass Player I ever saw do a solo---and it blew me away! Since then, I have seen others attempt this feat, but none have succeeded to the level Joe did. Joe's bass playing was an integral part of the B.O.C. sound and something that (and please no offense to Eric, Don and Allan) was sadly missed when he left the band. His brother Albert left the band first, replaced by Rick Downey, but when Joe left the soul of the band left with it in my incredibly bias opinion. Again my apologies to the surviving members of B.O.C. and the individuals who replaced the Bouchard brothers, but if you want to get the "feel" of the B.O.C. check out albums up to, but not past "Fire of an Unknown Origin". Would I still see B.O.C. when they come to town even without the Bouchards---yes, just like I would still go to see Pete and Roger from the Who, but I think even they would agree they're not the same with out Keith and John.

To find out what Joe is doing now go to http://joebouchard.com/.

Since leaving the B.O.C. Joe has continued to thrive in the music world as a composer, author, and educator as well as still doing various music endeavors. Some of his publications are "Rock Bass For Beginners" (book & DVD), "No Reading Required - Easy Rock Bass Lines" (DVD), and "Bass For The Absolute Beginner" (book & CD) just to name a few.

I will leave my homage to Joe Bouchard here, but I think you get the idea. Now it's your turn, the first member of your "fantasy band" starts here with your Bass Player. Think about it, have fun with it and enjoy it, I know we will!

The Lamocu Productions Fantasy Band
Bass Player - Joe Bouchard, Blue Oyster Cult


Thanks for reading along. And remember this Saturday is our Valentine's Day show with City Limit! Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

South Lyon Real Estate said...

That is awesome- however I have to say that my favorite bass player comes from my favorite band- Kings X. Doug Pinnick- who four strings is not enough- he has even played an 8 string bass. Now for those of you that know Kings X you know what I am talking about. For those who dont' think of the music of Metallica with harmonies of the Beatles and you are getting close. Also these guys were doing the down-tuned thing before grunge was even bore- but they did it with musicianship!!

Here are some honorable mentions- Stu Hamm, John Entwistle, Billy Sheehan

Wait a minute- my favorite might be Motown Virtuoso extrodianiare James Jamerson!!!!So Funky!!!!

Anonymous said...

On impulse I would say Roger Waters of Pink Floyd just because he is Roger Waters and what he did with Pink Floyd and like Paul of the Beatles he can play lots of different things. But I would have to say that Getty Lee of Rush has to be there also. Having seen Getty a few more times than Roger he puts his entire soul into preforming and his music as does Roger. So I would have to call it a draw because they are both great writers and players. So maybe in this "perfect" band they would take turns or better yet both play at the same time wouldn't that be something dueling bass's.